Governance & Training
Managing in Two Worlds
Aboriginal organisations operate in ‘Two Worlds’, fulfilling both their cultural obligations to their communities and their legal obligations to the wider community and to funding bodies.
Victoria University in partnership with the Office of Aboriginal Affairs Victoria, the Commonwealth Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations (ORIC) and Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) are delivering a series of three-day governance training workshops at locations around Victoria.
The governance training workshops are tailored to strengthen Aboriginal community organisations through the development of management and governance skills of individual board members and key staff. Workshops cover a number of governance topics including:
- Legal obligations of board members
- Good governance practices
- The path towards incorporation
- Evaluating risk
- Organising and participating in meetings
- Conflict of interest and;
- Board members roles and responsibilities
All costs associated with the workshop including accommodation are covered the Office of Aboriginal Affairs Victoria.
Participants who complete the three-day workshop may choose to continue their training by undertaking the fully accredited Certificate IV in Business (Governance).
For more information about upcoming workshops or the Certificate IV please contact:
- Tony McCartney
- Senior Community Agent (Mon - Weds + Fri)
- (03) 9919 4529 or 0411 691 595
- Elizabeth Rigney
- Community Agent (Tues-Fri)
- (03) 9919 2094