Resources for heritage projects
Significance Assessments – Community Collections
Significance Assessments – Places
Materials Conservation and Preservation
Marketing, Governance, Business Planning
This information is to help applicants and recipients of project grants awarded by Heritage Victoria. For queries about grants and conservation management plans, contact the Assistance Programs Unit, Heritage Victoria, on 03 8644 8800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Burra Charter. All works on historic places should comply with the provisions of the Burra Charter. It provides guidance for the conservation and management of places of cultural significance (cultural heritage places).
- Conservation Management Plans (Places). Conservation Management Plans: Managing Heritage Places (2010).
- The Collections Australia Network (CAN) contains a large amount of useful information about all aspects of collection management.
- Management Plan for Objects and Collections, Heritage Victoria
Collections Policy. Information Kit, Museums Australia, Victorian Branch. Tel (03) 8341 7344 or 1800 680 082.
- Collections Link Policy and Standards. (Collections Trust formerly Museums Documentation Association (MDA), UK) Standards.
- Collections Policy. Collection Management Systems.
- Significance Assessment of Objects and Collections
- A Guide to Assessing the Significance of Cultural Heritage Objects and Collections
- Victoria's Framework of Historical Themes
- Australian ICOMOS Charter for the Conservation of Places of Cultural Significance (Burra Charter) 1999 and its guidelines.
- Criteria for Assessment of Cultural Heritage Significance
- Victoria's Framework of Historical Themes
- Developing a Conservation Plan. Information Kit, Museums Australia, Victorian Branch, 2006. Contact MA (Vic) for a copy. Tel (03) 8341 7344 or 1800 680 082.
- The Conservation Assessment: A Tool for Planning, Implementing, and Fund-raising & Best Practices for General Conservation Assessments. The Conservation Assessment Program. Heritage Preservation. USA. Conservation Risk Assessment: A Strategy for Managing Resources for Preventive Conservation
- Disaster Plans. Be prepared - Guidelines for small museums for writing a disaster preparedness plan 2005.
- AICCM Code of Ethics and Code of Practice 2002. These codes should be followed by all conservators undertaking treatments, surveys or planning projects on heritage objects and collections. They are also guidelines for practice by non-conservators handling cultural materials. They emphasise at all times the protection and conservation of cultural material.
- Preservation Needs assessment template This template is designed specifically for Australian conditions and collections
- Capture Your Collections. A digitisation course for remote and regional museums and galleries.
- Digital Image Management Systems The Collections Australia Network (CAN) portal contains useful information about digitising collections.
- Digital Imaging The Collections Australia Network (CAN) portal contains useful information about digitising collections.
- Digitisation and Digital Preservation The Collections Australia Network (CAN) portal contains useful information about digitising collections.
- The Victorian Electronic Records Strategy has been developed by Public Record Office Victoria to preserve the electronic records of the state for the long term.
- Digitisation Guidelines by the National Library of Australia.
- Heritage Victoria’s Consultants and Contractor's Directory
- Conservators AICCM
- Historians PHA VIC
- Interpretation IAA
- Curators MA (VIC)
Information Sheet G24, Assigning & Licensing rights. Grant recipients should ensure they obtain a licence or joint copyright from all contractors to allow the recipient to use the contractor’s copyright material produced as a result of the project. See the Australian Copyright Council.
- Museums Australia 1998 Strategic Planning Manual
- "Chapter 1 - Museum Management"; "Chapter 2 - Marketing and Public Relations" and "Chapter 7 - Evaluation and audience research" in Museum Methods. A practical guide for managing small museums and galleries. 2002. Hard copy publication available from Museums Australia.
- Arts Victoria Funding Programs
- Department of Planning and Community Development Grants Program
- Public Records Office of Victoria Local History Grants Program
- National Library of Australia Community Heritage Grants
- Museums Australia Grants
- The Helen Macpherson Smith Trust
- ICOMOS Ename Charter for Interpretation of Cultural Heritage Sites
- Interp_bibliography (PDF 42 KB)
- Interpreting Culture and Country; Speaking on Country Draft Guidelines for Interpreting Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Culture and Country Interpretation Australia Association.
- Best Practice in Park Interpretation and Education. ANZECC Report National Park and Protected Area Management DEH 1999.
- Heritage Interpretation Policy and Guidelines for Interpreting Heritage Places and Items, NSW Heritage Office.