Local Heritage Toolkit
The vast majority of heritage places in Australia are recognised through local planning scheme heritage lists, conservation areas and heritage overlays.
This toolkit brings together 5 documents - a range of strategic, statutory tools and non-statutory actions to help deliver good decisions, engender community support and build capacity for local heritage management - across Australia and New Zealand.
This toolkit is aimed at:
- local government heritage advisors
- heritage consultants
1. Supporting Local Government Heritage Conservation report
This report and appendices examine:
- What makes successful local heritage management
- Top 5 issues impacting local heritage conservation
- A range of actions for State and local governments.
Supporting Local Government Heritage Conservation - appendices (PDF 710 KB)
2. Heritage Advisory Services Handbook
This manual draws together practical aspects of establishing a heritage advisory service, supporting heritage advisors and the community.
It is an updated version of Heritage Advisory Services Handbook by McDougall & Vines, 2000.Heritage Advisory Services Handbook January 2009 (PDF 572 KB)
Heritage Advisory Services Handbook - attachments (PDF 1 MB)
3. Protecting Local Heritage Places
4. Incentives for Heritage Protection Handbook
5. Making Good Local Heritage Decisions
HCOANZ supporting local government project
In April 2006 the Productivity Commission Report “Conservation of Australia’s Historic Heritage Places” made a number of recommendations about the role of local government on the conservation of Australia’s historic heritage.
From these recommendations, the Heritage Chairs and Officials of Australia and New Zealand (HCOANZ) developed the Supporting Local Government Project which aims to establish better information on local government capacity and best practice in heritage protection, and recommend ways of achieving a national approach and using national models to achieve local heritage protection in Australia.
The project brief was endorsed by HCOANZ in Sydney in September 2007.
Heritage Victoria with financial support from other jurisdictions led the project, which commenced in October 2007. A total of 5 products were created to form the toolkit.
- Supporting Local Government Heritage Conservation - final report to HCOANZ
- Heritage Advisory Services Handbook
- Protecting Local Heritage Places
- Incentives for Heritage Protection Handbook
- Making Good Local Heritage Decisions