How to apply for a permit
Permit application instructions
Before you apply, read our Permit Application Instructions (Word 563 KB).
Lodging a permitThis is the Permit Application Form (Word 1.3 MB) to be lodged pursuant to the Heritage Act 1995.
Applicants are encouraged to lodge their applications electronically and these should be emailed to email@example.com
If your application documents include large files, you may wish to consider sending them in multiple emails or providing them on a CD.
Applications can also be mailed to Heritage Victoria, P.O. Box 2392, Melbourne 3001.
Applications emailed will be acknowledged by Heritage Victoria by return email.
Applicants need to be aware that the application will not be processed until payment is received.
Permit application checklist
Our Permit Application Checklist (Word 1.2 MB) is a checklist of documents required by us in order to assess the works proposed by your permit application. These documents must be provided with the application before we can commence assessment of the application.
Applications should also include:
- Completed Owner information and consent form within the application
- A current Certificate of Title for a Heritage Place. TO BE CONSIDERED ‘CURRENT’ THE CERTIFICATE OF TITLE SUPPLIED MUST BE DATED WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE DATE THAT THE APPLICATION IS LODGED.
- A Heritage Impact Statement which should clearly demonstrate, both to the Executive Director Heritage Victoria, and other interested parties, that in developing a proposal for a heritage registered place, a clear process has been undertaken that addressed the impacts of the proposal on the cultural heritage significance of the place. Guidelines are provided for Heritage impact statements (Word 112 KB)
Permit application fees can be paid by cheque or Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).
CHEQUES should be made out to HERITAGE COUNCIL VICTORIA.
For EFT payments, use the following details:
Department of Planning and Community Development
Westpac Bank, 360 Collins Street Melbourne
BSB – 033 222
Account - 130354
Use the relevant Victorian Heritage Register number as the reference.
Summary of what you should provide when applying for a permit
- A permit application form signed by the owner and applicant
- A current copy of title (obtained no more than 30 days ago)
- Documents setting out the works proposed - see checklist above
- A Heritage Impact Statement
- A permit fee - cheque or EFT