About Local Government Victoria
Local Government Victoria (LGV) is part of the Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure. LGV works co-operatively with Victoria’s 79 local councils to ensure that Victorian’s enjoy responsive and accountable local government services.
LGV is focussed on ensuring Victorian communities are supported by a strong and accountable local government sector. LGV provides policy advice to the Minister for Local Government and oversees the administration of the Local Government Act 1989.
LGV works in partnership with the local government sector to improve business and governance practices that maximise community value and accountability. The occupational roles are diverse and LGV employs policy, legal, governance and finance professionals to deliver its functions.
Some of Local Government Victoria’s activities and priorities include:
- Ensuring that the system of local government is strong, transparent and accountable
- Clarifying the roles and responsibilities of State and Local Government and ensuring these are supported by effective consultative arrangements and relationships
- Delivering financial sustainability of local government.
- Establishing the Ministerial-Mayors’ Advisory Panel
- Renegotiating the Victorian-State Local Government Agreement
- Establishing a bipartisan Ministerial Advisory Council on Public Libraries and deliver a major review of public library service delivery and funding
- Delivering major Government initiatives including the Living Libraries Infrastructure Program.
For information about your local council, visit Find your local council.