Ministerial-Mayors Advisory Panel
The Government made an election commitment to establish a Local Government Ministerial-Mayors Advisory Panel (MMAP) to provide high level advice on the range of legislative, regulatory, strategic and policy decisions which impact on and require a partnership with local government.
The MMAP reflects the Government’s interest in ensuring that additional unfunded responsibilities are not imposed on local government without consultation. The Government is committed to establishing greater clarity around the respective roles of each tier of government as a way of addressing issues affecting local government.
Mayors are appointed to the MMAP by the Minister for Local Government. To ensure a diversity of views, appointments take into account:
- Individual experience and expertise;
- Gender balance; and
- Existing participation in other committees and representation of constituencies to Government.
MMAP members are appointed in their individual capacity on account of their insights into the operations of councils and local government views on particular issues. MMAP Members are not representative of any constituency and would not be expected to represent the interests of any constituency.
2013 Ministerial-Mayors Advisory Panel
The members of the 2013 MMAP are:
- Cr Angela Altair;
- Cr Helene Cameron;
- Lord Mayor Cr Robert Doyle;
- Cr Dick Ellis;
- Cr Sandy Kam;
- Cr Jennifer Yang;
- Cr Kathy Majdlik;
- Cr Lisa Ruffell; and
- Cr Oscar Yildiz.
The first and second meetings of the 2013 Panel were held on 13 March and 15 May 2013. The Panel have discussed a number of items to date, including:
- The Local Government Portfolio Agenda;
- Local Government Performance Reporting;
- Securing Victoria’s Economy;
- Implications of the State Budget for local government;
- Governance and Councillor Conduct;
- Metorpolitan Planning Strategy and Regional Growth Plans; and
- Cost containament.
Future meetings of the MMAP are scheduled for July, August and October. In accordance with the Terms of Reference the term of the 2013 Panel will end on 31 October 2013.
Topics discussed by previous Panels
- Shared Services;
- The Landfill Levy;
- The Community Satisfaction Survey;
- The Green Light Plan;
- The Local Government Legislation Amendment (Miscellaneous) Bill 2012;
- Rates and Infrastructure in Rural Victoria;
- Camping Regulations on Crown Land;
- Transport Infrastructure;
- The defined benefit superannuation deficit;
- The forward legislative agenda; and
- The local government elections.
- The renegotiation of the Victorian State-Local Government Agreement;
- Councillor conduct; and
- The impact of State Government legislation and policy on local government.
Terms of ReferenceMMAP Terms of Reference (PDF 57 KB) or (Word 68 KB).
For further information, please contact Local Government Victoria.