Stockman Base Metals Project
Proponent: Stockman Project Pty Ltd
Stockman Project Pty Ltd* proposes to develop the Stockman Base Metals Project at a site approximately 19 km south-east of the township of Benambra in East Gippsland. The project includes recommissioning an existing underground mine and development of a new underground mine, to produce copper-zinc-silver-gold concentrates for export.
* Formerly known as Jabiru Metals Ltd, Stockman Project Pty Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of Independence Group NL.
Inquiry processAn Inquiry Panel has been appointed by the Minister for Planing to consider the submissions made to this project. Information regarding the progress of the Inquiry process is available on the Planning Panels webpage.
The EES for the Stockman Base Metals Project, together with draft Planning Scheme Amendment and draft Work Plan, were released for public comment from 25 March 2014 to 8 May 2014.
Details on the public exhibition process are provided in the attached notice.Stockman Project website.
To request a USB of the EES (free of charge), please contact the Stockman Project Office on phone: 1800 095 273 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copies of the submissions can be made available for any person to inspect at the following locations:
- Planning Panels Victoria - Ground Floor, 1 Spring Street, Melbourne, by telephone appointment on (03) 8392 6396
- Stockman Project Office - 2 Sebastopol Hill Road, Omeo
Scoping Requirements set out the matters to be investigated and documented in the EES.
Draft Scoping Requirements for this EES were placed on public exhibition from 31 January to 18 February 2011. The Minister for Planning issued final Scoping Requirements for the EES on 9 March 2011.
Stockman Project Pty Ltd has prepared a Consultation Plan that outlines the opportunities for community engagement during the preparation of the EES.
On 16 August 2010, the Minister for Planning requested Stockman Project Pty Ltd to prepare an EES under the Environment Effects Act 1978 to assess the likely environmental effects of the proposal.
On 29 November 2010, the delegate of the Commonwealth Minister for Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts also determined that the project was a controlled action (EPBC 2010/5717) and requires assessment and approval under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 because of potential impacts on listed threatened species and communities (sections 18 and 18A).
In order to avoid duplication of assessment processes, the project will be assessed by the Victorian EES process in accordance with the bilateral agreement relating to environmental impact assessment between the Commonwealth and the State of Victoria.
- Questions relating to the Stockman Base Metals Project should be directed to Stockman Project -
Phone: 1800 095 273
- Questions relating to the EES process should be directed to the department's Environment Assessment Unit - Phone: (03) 9223 5315.
- Questions relating to the public Inquiry process should be directed to Emma Moysey, Senior Project Manager at Planning Panels Victoria - Phone: (03) 9223 5308 or email: email@example.com
- Questions relating to the draft Planning Scheme Amendment should be directed to Kate Nelson at East Gippsland Shire Council - Phone: (03) 5153 9500 or email: KateN@egipps.vic.gov.au
- Questions relating to the Work Plan process and mining licensing should be directed to David Whitehouse at the Department of State Development, Business and Innovation - Phone: (03) 5761 1501 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org