Victorian Planning System Ministerial Advisory Committee
The Minister for Planning established an Advisory Committee to review the planning system in Victoria.
The Victorian planning system affects the everyday life of all Victorians. It regulates or relates to buildings and homes, the location of shopping centres and community facilities, as well as the location of transport infrastructure and recreation space.
Advisory Committee initial report
The Minister for Planning, Matthew Guy released the Victorian Planning System Ministerial Advisory Committee report and the Government's initial response on 11 May 2012.
- Victorian Planning System Ministerial Advisory Committee, Initial Report (PDF - 2.4 MB)
- Accessible Word version - Advisory Committee Initial Report Part 1 (DOC - 1.5 MB)
- Accessible Word version - Advisory Committee Initial Report Part 2 (DOC - 1.2 MB)
Some of the key recommendations that have already been actioned include:
- continuing to develop a new metropolitan planning strategy and regional growth plans
- taking action to reduce the backlog of cases and waiting time at VCAT
- reviewing the adequacy of the current schedule of application fees
- developing a new code assessment process for straight forward, low impact permit applications.
Recommendations that need further work to progress include:
- reviewing the permit and amendment processes to make them more efficient
- reviewing the operation of aspects of planning schemes, such as how local policy and planning overlays work
- improving how the development contribution system works.
The Advisory Committee consulted with a wide range of planning stakeholders, including local government, community and industry representatives. The call for submissions closed on 31 August 2011. Over 500 submissions were received.Submissions have now been removed from this website. If you have any queries about submissions please contact us at email@example.com.
Advisory Committee appointment and Terms of Reference
The Advisory Committee was appointed under section 151 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
The Advisory Committee's tasks and the process to be followed are set out in the Terms of Reference.
- Victorian Planning System - Ministerial Advisory Committee - Terms of Reference (DOC - 64 KB)
- Victorian Planning System - Ministerial Advisory Committee - Terms of Reference (PDF - 1.2 MB)
Advisory Committee membership
The Advisory Committee members are:
- Geoff Underwood - Chair
- Catherine Heggen
- David Keenan
- Terry Montebello
- Jane Nathan
- Leigh Phillips
For inquiries about the project, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org