Rural and regional planning
Regional Victoria is the area outside metropolitan Melbourne and includes regional cities, towns and rural land as well as important natural areas.
Rural and regional planning aims to enhance regional growth opportunities through effective planning for land use and development in regional Victoria.
This involves development of integrated land use planning policy, plans and strategies in response to growth and change in regional Victoria.
Rural and regional planning addresses:
- liveability and economic prosperity
- climate change adaptation and migration
- population and demographic change
- risks from hazards such as bushfires, flooding and coastal inundation and
- water supply uncertainty.
In this section:
Regional Growth Plans
Eight regional growth plans are being developed in partnership between local government and state government agencies and authorities to provide broad direction for land use and development across each region, as well as frameworks for key regional centres.
Peri-urban areas are the non-urban areas close to cities and towns. A number of planning strategies and programs are addressing peri-urban issues.
Rural and Regional Planning Projects
Place based or thematic projects, such as:
- Armstrong Creek Urban Growth Area
Find out about planning for the Armstrong Creek Urban Growth Area.
- Murray River Settlement Strategy
A collaborative planning exercise to establish settlement strategies along the Murray River corridor.
- Regional Towns Development Program
A funding program for place-based projects in Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo, Latrobe and Wodonga.
- Rural Land Use Planning Program
A listing of planning projects funded in rural and regional areas.
- South West Landscape Assessment Study
A study to assess the visual character and significance of the landscapes of south-west Victoria.
Links for related projects or topics
- Metropolitan Planning Strategy
A new metropolitan planning strategy for Melbourne to build on its liveability and ensure the future prosperity of the State.
- Planning and Building for Bushfire Protection
Information about planning and building matters in Victoria associated with bushfire prevention and recovery.
- Urban Development Program (UDP)
Information on residential and industrial land supply and demand for metropolitan Melbourne and regional cities.
- Victoria's Planning System
A guide to the planning system and regulatory framework for land use planning in Victoria.
- Victoria in Future
The official population and household projections of the Victorian Government.
- Catchment Management Authorities
Responsible for management of regional waterways, floodplains, drainage and environmental water reserves in each of Victoria's ten catchment regions.
- Department of Primary Industry
Responsible for delivery of policies and programs for agriculture, fisheries, earth resources, energy, forestry, pets and game hunting in Victoria.
- Department of Sustainability and Environment
Leads the Victorian Government's efforts to sustainably manage the environment.
- Department of Transport
Aims to provide a safe reliable transport system for Victorians.
- Regional Development Australia
An Australian government initiative that brings together all levels of government to enhance the development of Australia's regions.
- Regional Development Victoria
The Victorian government's lead agency in developing rural and regional Victoria.