Rural and regional planning
Regional Victoria takes in all of the state outside metropolitan Melbourne. It includes regional cities, towns and rural land as well as the state’s natural areas.
Rural and regional planning aims to enhance regional growth opportunities through effective planning for land use and development in regional Victoria.
Rural and regional planning addresses:
- liveability and economic prosperity
- climate change adaptation and mitigation
- population and demographic change
- risks from hazards such as bushfire, flood and coastal inundation and
- water supply considerations for land use.
In this section:
Regional growth plans
Eight regional growth plans are being developed in partnership between local government and state government agencies and authorities to provide broad direction for land use and development across each region, as well as frameworks for key regional centres.
Peri-urban areas are the non-urban areas close to cities and towns. A number of planning strategies and programs are addressing peri-urban issues.
Rural and regional planning projects
Place-based or thematic projects, including:
- Armstrong Creek Urban Growth Area
Find out about planning for the Armstrong Creek Urban Growth Area.
- Murray River Settlement Strategy
A collaborative planning exercise to plan for the sustainable growth of communities along the Murray River corridor.
- Regional Towns Development Program
A funding program for place-based projects in Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo, Latrobe and Wodonga.
- Rural Land Use Planning Program
A listing of planning projects funded in rural and regional areas.
- South West Landscape Assessment Study
A study to assess the visual character and significance of the landscapes of south west Victoria.
Links for related projects or topics
- Plan Melbourne
A new metropolitan planning strategy for Melbourne to build on its liveability and ensure the future prosperity of the state.
- Planning and Building for Bushfire Protection
Information about planning and building matters in Victoria associated with bushfire prevention and recovery.
- Urban Development Program
Information on residential and industrial land supply and demand for metropolitan Melbourne and regional cities.
- Victoria's Planning System
A guide to the planning system and regulatory framework for land use planning in Victoria.
- Victoria in Future
The official population and household projections of the Victorian Government.
- Catchment Management Authorities
Responsible for management of regional waterways, floodplains, drainage and environmental water reserves in each of Victoria's 10 catchment regions.
- Department of Environment and Primary Industries
Responsible for delivery of policies and programs for sustainably managing the environment, agriculture, fisheries, earth resources, energy, forestry, pets and game hunting in Victoria.
- Regional Development Australia
An Australian Government initiative that brings together all levels of government to enhance the development of Australia's regions.
- Regional Development Victoria
The Victorian government's lead agency in developing rural and regional Victoria.