Access to sport and recreation facilities at a community level is an integral part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle for all Victorians, both in urban and rural communities. Sport and recreation opportunities provide settings for social interaction, sharing common interests and enhancing a sense of community.
Community Sporting Facility Lighting Guide
Sport and Recreation Victoria's new Community Sporting Facility Lighting Guide (PDF 1.7 MB) or (Word 91 KB) is designed to assist local clubs, organisations and councils with lighting projects for Australian Rules, football (soccer) and netball. It offers recommendations for planning, design, maintenance and operation of a variety of lighting systems.
The Guide covers key topics that councils and clubs need to consider when planning a sports lighting project, including the planning process, power supply, maintenance and operation, types of lighting and design standards for training and competition.
Community Facility Funding Program
Sport and Recreation Victoria’s Community Facility Funding Program helps provide high quality, accessible community sport and recreation facilities across Victoria.
The program encourages:
- increasing sport and recreation participation
- increased community access to leisure opportunities
- better planning of sport and recreation facilities
- innovative sport and recreation facilities
- environmentally sustainable design
There are two categories of funding available in this program, Planning and Building Community Infrastructure.
Country Football and Netball Program
Sport and Recreation Victoria’s Country Football and Netball Program provides funding to assist country football and netball clubs, associations and umpiring organisations to develop facilities in rural, regional and outer metropolitan locations including: change room facilities for players and umpires of both genders; development or upgrading football playing fields; development or upgrading of netball facilities; development or upgrading of lighting facilities.
Strengthening the World Game Program
The Strengthening the World Game Program provides funding to assist local football (soccer) clubs and organisations to upgrade existing or develop new facilities to maximise their capacity to cater for additional participation in soccer.
Forms and Templates for Funded Projects
See a list of resources required for project management and acquittal for the various facility funding programs.
These publications are intended for use as a guide only and further specialist advice should be sought on the specifics of your project.
- Artificial Grass For Sport Guide
- Tennis Facility Planning Guide (PDF 1.4 MB) or (Word 272 KB)
- Netball Court Planning Guide (PDF 393 KB) or (Word 153 KB)
- Community Sporting Facility Lighting Guide (PDF 1.7 MB) or (Word 91 KB)
- The Good Play Space Guide: "I can play too" (PDF 1.4 MB) or (Word 408 KB)
- Skate Facility Guide (PDF 2.0 MB) or (Word 598 KB)
- ARV Pool Concourse Guidelines
- Planning Institute of Australia
- Aquatics and Recreation Victoria
- Parks and Leisure Australia
- Play Australia
- Standards Australia
- Environmental Protection Authority
- Department of Sustainability and Environment
- AUSPORT - Sport Dimensions
DPCD/SRV contact information
For assistance with a project idea and/or an application contact your local DPCD/SRV representative.